Monday, August 10, 2009

"Spring Awakening" Put Me Into A Summer Coma

Normally I try to keep anything culturally significant out of this blog.  I mean, it really isn't a place to debate Mozart vs. Chopin.  But for those of you who don't know I am actually a rather cultured person.  I am a member of several museums, I have stared for hours at my favorite sculpture in the Villa Borghese, and I have season tickets to Broadway in Chicago.

Okay, so my mom has season tickets but she takes me more than anyone else.

Yesterday we drove downtown to see the production of "Spring Awakening" that is in town.  Now I knew nothing of this musical before I went to see it, which doesn't happen too often.  My mom read something about how it is based on a story from the 16th century.  It had music done by someone I have heard of and it was nominated and possibly won some Tony's, so how bad could it be?

As the elderly ladies who sit in front of us said at intermission "Well this was a waste of money". (They and a bunch of people left at intermission)

The only reason I can think that it got such rave revues was the simulated sex acts and the fact that I saw an actresses boob.  As my mom said, "This is like watching Hair meets Dead Poets Society".  And while both of those are great productions they combination of the two left me bored.

The only thing that kept me alert was the promise of Garetts Chicago Mix after the show.

~ The Office Scribe


No comments:

Post a Comment