Saturday, February 27, 2010

Quasimodo's Playlist

I never go anywhere without my iPod. It's not even that I am a huge fan of music. I just like noise. I bring it to work. I use it in my car. I play games on it while I am in waiting rooms. I watch movies on the little screen when the power goes out.

Let's just say I really love my iPod.

Earlier today I was scrolling through my music library and I noticed that I have quite a few songs with the word bell in the title.  I found this interesting, because who would have thought the word bell was so popular.

I'll tell you who.  This guy.


Yeah, that is Quasimodo, the protagonist from the Victor Hugo novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The man did two things: rings bells and chat with gargoyles.

He would love my iPod.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, I present...

Quasimodo's Playlist

Track #1: I Hear The Bells - Mike Doughty

This song might be familiar to those of you who are fans of the short lived show Veronica Mars. Warning - if you download this song you may, like me, listen to it on repeat because you can't get enough of it.

Track #2: Tubular Bells - Michael Gordon Oldfield

Hmm, what is this little gem?  Oh, that's right.  It's the theme from The Exorcist.  Nothing like rocking out to a song which recalls green bile and head spinning hilarity.

Track #3: For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica

The version I like is the one off the S&M album because it is the perfect mashup of metal and a symphony.  I like to picture a young Mozart rocking out to this tune on the harpsicord.

Track #4: Carol of the Bells - Trans Siberian Orchestra

Come December 1, this becomes my ringtone, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to it the other 11 months of the year.

Track #5: Michelle (My Belle) - The Beatles

Okay, okay.  I know the official title is just Michelle, but it seems that most people think the title includes the word bell so I added it.  What's a playlist without The Beatles anyway?

Track #6: Saved By The Bell - ?

I don't know who wrote this TV theme song (if I was motivated I could find it on Wikipedia I am sure) but everyone in my generation knows every word to this song and will until the day we die.

Track #7: Belle - From Beauty and the Beast

We preformed this as a musical when I was in 5th grade.  I tried out for the part of Lumiere and ended up being a bar wench.  Did my music teacher know something about my future that I didn't?  Perhaps.

Track #8: Ring My Bell - Anita Ward

Disco Demolition may have happened at Comisky back in the day but that didn't stop me from putting this song on my iPod.

Track #9: Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms

It may have come out in 1957 but it is now associated with Mean Girls which is better than associating Lindsay Lohan with Mean Girls.

Track #10: Poison by Bell Biv Davoe

Bell might not be in this title either but it's in the band (?) name and that's reason enough to include it on this list.  Well that and I remember choreographing ice skating routines on my lake to this jam when I was a kid.  Come on, picture a nine year old white girl attempting to pull off some sort of crazy untrained jump while the lyrics 
It's driving me out of my mind 
That's why it's hard for me to find
Can't get her out of my head 
Miss her, kiss her, Wrong move you're dead
blares from a Sony boombox on the shore.  It was badass.

Is there a song that should be included on this list that I forgot?  Let me know in comments and I promise to mock your choices.

~ The Office Scribe

No comments:

Post a Comment