Monday, February 8, 2010

The Best $170 Nap Ever!

Yesterday my mom and I went to go see "August: Osage County" which is a Tony Award winning play written by someone from the Steppenwolf Theater.  It did awesome here, went to Broadway, and kicked all forms of ass.  Which is why I was super excited when it came back to town and we got tickets as part of our season ticket package.

Our seats are pretty good, as in row K on the main aisle good.  So our tickets don't come cheap, but they are worth it.

Which I guess it why the two older ladies who obviously lived on the North Shore of Chicago bought tickets in the row in front of us.

They were chatty before the production began, talking to my mom and me about how they love the theater and how sweet it is that my mom and I do things like that together.  They talked about how much they loved the playwright and how when the play was at the Steppenwolf they were crushed because they couldn't get tickets.  Which, is why, when it came back to town, they bought the best tickets they could, at $170 a pop! (Over 2 times more than what I paid for my ticket.)

So the play starts, and about 10 minutes into the first act the brunette bitys head dips down in what is the obvious posture of someone who is napping.  And it remains in that same position for the entire first act. I was afraid that when the house lights came up she wasn't going to move and I would see my first dead body in a theater.  But she woke up when the lights came on.

Then the second act starts, and the blonde one slumps over in her chair.  My mom nudges me and whispers, "I think she's asleep."  Again, I was afraid she had died.  (I know, I am kinda morbid.)

When the play finally ends, of which both women probably missed a good 75 minutes, they could not stop raving about how wonderful it was.

I know these ladies saw it as a status symbol to come and see this play in such good seats, but why not pay me the $170 a piece to see it, I'll write a report on it, and you can have my PlayBill and ticket stub if you need proof to show someone that you were there.

It's a perfect situation!

~ The Office Scribe

No comments:

Post a Comment