Monday, April 5, 2010

AFI #100: Yankee Doodle Dandy

Title: Yankee Doodle Dandy
Year: 1942
Director: Michael Curtiz
Staring: James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Houston

Plot: The life story of composer, playwright, dancer and singer George M. Cohan

Have I Seen It Before: Yes

Do I Own This Movie: No

Famous Line: My mother thanks you.  My father thanks you.  My sister thanks you.  And I thank you.

Fun Fact!:  George M. Cohan picked James Cagney to play him.

Any Mention of Illinois: Yes! Family was waiting at a train station in Illinois and remarked about how cold it was in Spring!

Five Thoughts I Had While Watching This Movie:


1) The did a fantastic job aging people.  This movie was made in 1942, about 123 years before the invention of computers and long before The Curious Case of Benjamin Button won an Oscar.  The people actually looked old.  Take that CGI!

2) Actors back in the day had to be hella talented.  They could sing, dance, and act.  And it made me realize that, according to these standards, Zac Efron is the most talented human in the world.  DAMN YOU DISNEY!

3) I did phase out at one point and become more interested in checking my Twitter feed.  I mean, I love a musical number but come on.

2) God bless the crazy, frenetic delivery of the actors.  They sped through the dialog so fast if you weren't paying attention, you'd miss something.  But it was also incredibly realistic.  In real life, people actually do talk fast.

1) Women wore hats back in those days and I really wish we still did.  I want to walk around with a smart little piece of miller work on my hat while having cocktails wit the girls at 21.

Overall, I like the movie, but like I said, it did drag a bit.  Of course, I think that is because I was raised in a society where things generally explode in movies every 15 minutes to keep people interested.  Sadly, this movie had no explosions.

~ The Office Scribe

No comments:

Post a Comment